Saturday, May 29, 2021

25 Days of SFF: Day 15 - Top 5 "Lost" Productions

Recently I’ve done several poll on the SFF Facebook group to determine the Top 5 of lots of different things. For the 24 days leading up to the 25th Anniversary (and the day itself, of course) I will be posting a new Top 5 list each day, using the highly scientific and unbiased results from those FB polls. I’ll try to make these posts short but I’m pretty long winded and like to talk so…they’re probably all going to be pretty long. Enjoy? 


 Top 5 Lost Productions

There are many productions that never get filmed for various reasons.  Most of the time the reason is because I haven't written the script, or even a part of it. At most I have the idea written down, a brief summery, and maybe a detailed outline.  I've had a lot of ideas for films over the years but most of them never even get close to production.  However some of them have gotten close.  Some had fully written episodes, costume designs, and initial cast lists (or casting hopes I guess).  A few of them even had a scene filmed or a full read through of the script.  But for some reason they failed before the starting line.  

Here are the Top 5 productions that were almost filmed.  To qualify for this list the production had to have at least half of or a fully written script, had a scene filmed, or other significant pre-production done for it like costume designs.  I have not included scripts that are finished but could still be filmed because I don't consider those productions to be "lost" yet. 

Obviously there was no voting for this one.


#5 - State Line Road

Sometime in 2011 I came up with the idea for State Line Road.  I was living in Kansas City at the time and there was a street called 
State Line Road because it was literally the road that was the state line. On one side of the street was Kansas, on the other side was Missouri.  It gave me the idea about a different kind of "state" that you could be halfway in - the state of life and death.  What if someone died but wasn't fully dead, they were walking down State Line Road you could say, neither dead nor alive. 

I took this concept and ran with it.  I set it in the Cursiverse where The Curse, Dream Chasers, and Eidolon all take place and used some characters from those shows.  The story that emerged was a young woman , Becky Flynn, who goes ghost hunting for fun after watching a video of Zoey Zurrell telling people how to hunt and capture ghosts.  She ends up accidentally dying and although she isn't really a ghost hunter, she still gets sent to Ghost Hunter Hell which is a horrific place where ghosts torture hunters.  She makes a deal with Atropos, the Goddess of Death, to reform five ghost hunters - including Zoey - and set 100 ghosts free.  If she can do that then she gets a second chance at life.

However since can't make her alive the best she can do is give her a fake body and allow her ghost to possess it.  This allows her to leave her body in ghost form to walk through walls and do other things as needed. Unfortunately whenever Becky is surprised or shocked her soul literally jumps out of her body and her clothes are left on her corpse which leads to fun line, "Don't scare me like that!" I get naked when I'm scared!" Eventually she gets the hang of imagining her soul wearing clothes when she's outside her body and she no longer has the naked problem.  It's a bit complicated but fun.

There's a lot of plot twists and new characters including a blind seer named Cece Montgomery who helps Becky to fulfill her mission. There's a major subplot with Cece and a lot of fun scenes with them.  Although I didn't actually write the episode that introduces Cece I kept a file with bits of dialogue I wanted to use eventually.  
I didn't want to film any more TV show after Eidolon, but I couldn't imagine SLR as a movie.  I decided to do a series of episodic short films - each episode would be only ten minutes.  I thought this would be a good compromise.  

I had two and a half scripts written and several people cast in the main roles.  My casting wish list was for Annamarie MacLeod to play Becky Flynn - I even talked with her about it and she agreed to do it if she had the time.  Obviously I wanted Syndi Eller and Brittany Ann Whalen to reprise their roles as Atropos and Zoey Zurrell, and I cast Kate Weber as Cece Montgomery. 

So what happened?  I got writers block halfway through Episode 3 and couldn't finish it.  I also took a good hard look at the locations and general requirements as well as the amount of time actors would need to commit to film it and realized it just wasn't feasible to film it.  I loved the idea though so I have been slowly working on turning it into a novel.  I've posted some scenes that I've written for my 100 Days of Writing prompts so if you like the concept and want to check them out go here.  The SLR chapters/weeks are 9 (Becky dies), 12 (after death), 22 (Zoey's video although it isn't Becky watching it), 60 (Death gets a day off). 


#4 - The Crown of Ensor

The Crown of Ensor is actually my very first lost production.  I came up with the idea in 1997. The crown I made for Balthazar in Destiny III was paper mache sprayed with gold paint and decorated with jewels. For some reason it broke apart and I realized that I could finish breaking it into six pieces which gave me the idea of for the Crown of Ensor.  

Ensor was the King of the Time and transferred his power into his crown before he died, splitting it into six pieces and giving one piece to each of his children.  He was afraid that his enemies would use his power and his children to take over the universe so he asked the Cult of Time, his minions, to cast a spell to make his kids forget who they were then scattered them through time so no one could hurt them or reunite the crown. 

The oldest daughter, Dia, recovers her memory and realizes her father's death has sent the universe into chaos.  There needs to be a ruler of Time to maintain order and the Cult that should be responsible for that has been infiltrated, sabatoged, and has gone into hiding to protect the whereabouts of the children and the crown.  Dia decides to use the limited power of her piece to find the others and reunite them.  She manages to contact the Cult of Time and gains their help.  Traveling through time she finds her siblings one by one and has to convince them of who they really are and help them get their memories back. 

Of course there is a villain - a prince from the kingdom that is trying to take over the universe who is sent to find Dia, gather the children, and reunite the crown.  If he marries Dia he would have the right to rule beside her and he could crown himself King and rule the universe so he tries to seduce her and epically fails.  Then he kidnaps her and her siblings - who have been reluctant to work together until now - put their differences aside and save her.  In the end they reunite the crown and Dia becomes the Queen of the Universe.

It's a big weird, I know, but I thought it was a really good idea at the time.  I wrote half the script in 1998 and, although I was still filming Mind Games at the time I was trying not to film anything more.  I had to kick my filming addiction.  I tried my equivalent of a nicotine patch: doing costumed photoshoots so I could have the joys of dressing people up, exploring the characters, but not actually have to film it.  It was a one day photoshoot instead of a multi-month film shoot.  I was able to get seven people together who I was hoping to cast if I ever did actually film it.  

I did film one scene in the winter of 1998 underneath the monstrous bushes in front of the Homestead because it looked so cool to be in the hollow inside them when they were covered in snow.  I wrote a scene grabbed Danny Skirvin and two others and filmed it in an hour.  I have no idea what tape the footage is one.  I've checked every tape I have and the scene is no where on them.  So I either taped over it or I used the blank end of the Dragon & The Unicorn tape that I lost decades ago.  I still feel sick over the fact that I lost that tape. 

In the end I never fully finished the script and obviously never filmed it.  Like I said I was trying really hard not to film.  Clearly that didn't last and when I decided to write and film Pandora's Box I recycled several things from the Crown of Ensor for it.  The children's names were based on their assigned color and were really terrible to be honest.  

There was Dia Mond - a lady from the Turn of the 20th Century played by Morgan Diektus, Turlo Sapphire - a medieval wizard played by Danny Skirvin, Alizarion Crimson - a modern day military leader of a revolution somewhere in Latin America played by MT., Ayman Thystin - an 18th century prince played by Ryan Segovich, Esmerelda - a greek priestess played by Rachel Anderson, and Zarconia Gold - a futuristic thief played by ZS.  I also cast Chris Hutchens to play the villainous Prince Darius Black. 

Some of those names may look familiar to you because I used a few of them in Pandora's Box.  Turlo Sapphire became Turlo Masion and shared the intellectual "wizard" personality.  Alizarion Crimson became Catalina Crims and shared the miltary rebel leader personality. Zarconia Gold didn't have a name change or much of a personality change either.  Zarconia was the youngest sibling and was the same age as Zarc in Pandora's Box - 16.  The name was different but Esmeralda was basically a weaker version of Diyara.  The villainous prince because the villainous General Darion De Carlo.  I even kept the color-coding for the characters although it was not necessary.  

Since I had taken the time to design the costume for Crown of Ensor I recycled some of them for Pandora's Box, more notably Prince Darious' main costume which became General De Carlo's military uniform.  I also used one of Esmerelda's outfits for Diyara and Zarc's outfit (and general style) for...um...Zarc.  Although it was never filmed it lived on in a way in the names and costume designs in Pandora's Box.  

I always intended to turn it into a book someday but I'm not really sure if the idea is good enough to bother with.  I also no longer have any copy of the script or even the outlines and summaries because the computer disk they were all on became corrupted and I was never able to retrieve the files from it.  I still have the disk but I highly doubt I'll ever be able to actually recover the information on it.  Unfortunately the photo album I had with all the pictures in it got lost in the mail when a box I was shipping from CA to IL when I moved back home disappeared enroute.  The only photos I still have are the few that I scanned in (some badly).  I'm still really upset about losing those!


#3 - The Devil in Disguise

I have already written a Lost Production Diary post about this one.  The Devil in Disguise was written for Ryan Segovich who was slated to star in it.  The script was written, the cast was set, costumes were designed, several locations where chosen and although we didn't do a cast read through I was planning to do one eventually before I filmed it in July and August. 

Yeah, that never happened.  Mostly because I became obsessed with Pandora's Box and didn't want to stop writing new episodes and filming more. I also wasn't able to secure one of the locations I really wanted to use - Grand Central Station in Chicago - and wasn't sure what other location I could get to replace it because it was written pretty specifically in the script. 

If you want to learn more check out the Lost Production Diary for The Devil in Disguise.


#2 - T.O.A.S.T.T.

This is another Lost Production I have already written a post about.  Actually I wrote two posts about it because I couldn't fit it all into one post.  Basically T.O.A.S.T.T. - The Organization of Assassination, Spying, and Time-Traveling had a terrible name and although I really liked the characters and the basic concept it really wasn't a great script.  I didn't think that at the time but I came to realize it later.

The futuristic time-traveling machine would have been impossible to build and there were both structural and logical problems with the script and even the concept. Although the first two episodes were completely written, ten episodes had been fully outlined, costumes were designed, actors cast, and we even did the read through it fell flat for the above reasons and more.  


If you want to learn more check out the Lost Production Diary for T.O.A.S.T.T..



#1 - The Return of Lucifer Jones

I actually keep forgetting about this one but it's the only literal lost production.  It was filmed but the tape was lost and it was never edited, and now it never can be.  Morgan Thomas might have the tape but I don't think she does.  Regardless it will never be completed much less watched.  I would say it's a pity but it's really not.  It was a bad script. 
In the fall of 2002, Ryan Homberg was visiting SIUC and hanging out with the gang at SPC-TV.  We all decided that since it was the weekend and we had nothing better to do let's shoot a short film for Tape & a Stick's fourth episode - Shampoo & a Bible.  

Weird, right?  Take & a Stick is a bit of weird concept but I really liked it. Basically each week two different and random items are chosen, and three different directors have to each come up with a short film that incorporates those items somehow.  The first episode was obviously a tape and a stick.  The second episode was Balloon & a Sock, the third was Soup & a Cookie, and the fourth was Shampoo & a Bible, but the episode was never completed.  I think I was the only one who filmed a short for it. 

Since Ryan was there I decided to write the sequel no one asked for to The Adventures of Lucifer Jones.  Neither Katie Johnston nor Russell Martin were there to reprise their roles as Angela the Mistress of Darkness and Bennie the Psychic Psychotic Sidekick.  It's a weird show that's very campy and makes fun of itself while constantly breaking the fourth wall so as silly as it is I still like it.  Ryan was able to return as Lucifer Jones, of course, and we had Angela's sidekick/minion, Vesper, become the new villain. 

However she is a total flake and a terrible villain so her new sidekick, whose name I can't remember but was played by Brittany Ann Whalen, does all the work and eventually kicks Vesper to the curb and takes over.  Brittany was in all leather and black and looked a lot like Zoey from Dream Chasers.  There was also a group of cultists who had written their own bible and Brittany's character had created a shampoo that brainwashed people.  

I really don't remember anything else about the plot or even the filming besides shooting a scene with Brittany and the girl who played Vesper in the tiny closet in SPC-TV.  Why don't I re-read the script you may ask? Because I don't have it.  Unlike The Crown of Ensor I didn't lose the script because the disk it was on got corrupted, I lost the script because...well...I physically lost it.  We decided to film a movie the next day at like 1o or 11 at night and I didn't start writing until 2am. The script was hand-written in two hours and finished at four o'clock in the morning which explains why it was SO BAD.  It was like I vomited up the script and said "let's go film this piece of sh*t."  

Even if I had the script I would never bother to re-film it.  It was even worse then Attack of the Cookie People (which was also a short film for Tape & a Stick) which is really saying something. It's probably a good thing that the tape is lost.  The only sad thing is that Brittany was pretty kick ass as the villain and Ryan did a great job as Lucifer Jones.  I will miss their performances, but nothing else.  It is truly a lost production in every way and that's probably for the best. Somethings should just say lost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment