Monday, February 18, 2013

Production Diary - Twisted Tales: Cinderella


Once a month I’m going to talk about a specific production, what it was like to film it, and what was involved in making it happen.  This month I’m going to talk about Twisted Tales: Cinderella.

Twisted Tales is a collection of short films with a common theme – taking a fairytale and giving it some sort of twist.  I asked if anyone else wanted to contribute a script to the project and amazingly wonderful Kate Weber sent me Cinderella.  There are a few twists in this script.  First, Cinderella is not a servant, she likes working hard on the family farm and her step-brothers aren’t wicked, they’re just not too handsome and not too bright.  Cinderella has no interest in going to the ball or in marrying a prince.  The only reason she goes is to drive her brothers their in the carriage and hope that they’ll get married off to the Princess.  Also the Fairy Godmother, is a Godfather who ends up their by mistake after reading the address wrong on his assignment.

But the biggest twist is that there’s no Prince Charming, instead it’s Princess Charlotte.  She doesn’t like the ball, so she runs away and finds Cinderella reading a book of fairy tales in the garden as she waits for her brothers.  They start talking and Charlotte begs Cinderella to take her away from the ball for a while because it’s so dull and she doesn’t want to go back.  Cinderella takes her home and they talk some more.  By the end Charlotte declares her love for Cinderella who returns it and they get married and live happily ever after on a royal farm.  It a funny, sweet, and wonderful twist and I really loved the script.  

I schedule filming for Cinderella in the late spring of 2010.  The script called for a palace gardens and the interior of a farm house – both vaguely period.  I had worked for the Kansas City Renaissance Festival the previous fall so I knew people who worked there and received permission to film, giving carte blanche as to the specific locations.  Everyone was totally awesome in letting me film there and my only regret is that I filmed just one movie in such a wonderful place.  

This was the first movie I had produced and filmed outside of Illinois, and although I had contacts that made it easy to find a location, I had a bit more trouble finding actors. You wouldn’t think it would be so hard at a Renaissance Festival, but it was.  I’m used to having a regular group of people to cast from, and I didn’t know a lot of people in Kansas City. Most of the people I knew either didn’t want to be on film or simply didn’t have the time.  

I knew I wanted my friend Antatia Powers to play Cinderella.  When I asked her to play the part she was skeptical.  She couldn’t really see herself playing the traditional dreamy-eyed romantic version, but once she read the script she was completely on board.   My assistant director was Zan Powers, Tash’s mother and my best friend in KC, who only agreed to appear on camera as one of the not-so-wicked stepbrothers because they were only seen from the back. I stepped in to play the other one since it was only one shot and long distance (if you haven’t figured it out yet I don’t really like to be in front of the camera either).

But I needed someone to play Princess Charlotte.  I asked the few people I knew who might be willing, but none of them could do it.  So I turned to craigslist where I had seen posts asking for actors for no-pay short films before.  I made a recruitment poster with the shooting date and details, and tried hard to stress in the ad that this was purely for fun, and although the movie would go on the internet, it was a no-budget film with no tech gear, make up rooms, or microphones, or lights.  It was just for fun.  I long ago gave up trying to be the next Steven Spielberg, and now only shot films for the fun of filming and to have something fun to edit.  I was really nervous that I would end up getting an actress who had high expectations and would be disgusted at the lack of pretty much everything on set and the extremely unprofessional way we film – i.e. no one really memorizes their lines, there’s maybe one crew person besides me, the shooting is fast-paced bur fun, and the set is over all pretty laid back.  I didn’t want an actress to show up and hate the whole thing (I had that happen once, it was a bit of a shock and very humbling).   

I had about five replies and in looking over the headshots and resume’s they sent (yikes! too professional already!) I gravitated to one named Bri Arnold.  She was my first pick and I sent her an email letting her know the exact nature of the barebones, low-key shoot.  She replied that it sounded fun and she wasn’t expecting it to be a big break or anything, just something fun to do.  So I asked her to play the part and she agreed. YAY!  Bri was absolutely wonderful to work with and she and Tash got along great and had good chemistry on screen.  I was incredibly lucky to get to work with these fantastic people. 

Now that the actors were cast, the location was all set up, and the shoot was scheduled, I turned my attention to what I considered to be one of the most important aspects of any production – the costumes.  This was my first time filming a movie where I had no access to costumes; neither my mother’s huge stock nor my own stash were available because they were both several hundred miles away in Illinois. I didn’t have enough money to rent costumes even from KCRF (the dry cleaning alone for a true Renaissance costume is probably more then my entire budget).  Luckily Tash was able to provide her own costume, and outfitting the brothers wasn’t too hard (although Zan ended up borrowing a jacket from Roger since I didn’t tell her ahead of time to bring something for it. Sorry Zan, my bad).  With about fifty bucks set aside for the budget which had to include buying lunch for the actors and some gas money for transportation, I set about trying to procure the rest of the costumes.  I still needed the fluffy ball gown, the godfather’s costume, and the Princess’s gown.  

I find two pre-owned prom dresses on eBay for a really good price, and one of them served as the typical fluffy Cinderella ball gown needed for one shot in the first scene.  The other was a pink chiffon dress I used as a base to build Princess Charlotte’s dress.  Now, anyone who knows me knows how much I love costumes.  What they may not know is that I am very judgmental when it comes to the big beautiful gown made for Cinderella by her fairy godmother – I mean, come on, it’s a magic dress that takes your breathe away and any Cindy gown that leaves me breathing kind of annoys me.  What I wanted for the traditional fairy-made dress for Cinderella in the first scene I knew I wasn’t going to be able to get since the amount of fluff required in my head could only be found in my mother’s costume storage and would not fit in any kind of suitcase that I could take on a train (my method of transport from KC to CU). So I did my best with the peach chiffon dress with silver embroidery and added a few touches it to and it worked okay.  



For Princess Charlotte’s dress, though, I wanted a ball gown that was truly fit for a princess.  Nothing I dreamed up was anything I could afford to buy or rent – I had to build it using whatever cheap resources I could find.  I purchased the base from eBay, then went to Goodwill where I found the trench coat and hat for the godfather, and a beautiful burgundy taffeta dress that would work with the pink chiffon.  I went for mock-18th century and used the pink dress as an underskirt, and the burgundy dress for the sleeves, bodice, and main skirt.  I cut away the front part to reveal the pink skirt then stitched the two together.  I made a stomacher out of some pink and gold fabric I had that I beaded and embroidered.  I trimmed the dress in gold ribbon and added a long trailing sort of cape thing (which ended being too long and got snagged on stuff, probably shouldn’t have added that).  It wasn’t the best color combo, but I think it turned out really well.  

However I made it with no pattern and only a dress size from Bri.  I’m sure she could have supplied her measurements but I don’t know how to use that in making a dress (I’m not a seamstress, I’m a costume finder-and-put-togetherer).  So it basically fit, but it was a bit loose I think (which is why I had a ribbon tie on it) but the sleeves were bad put together with the bodice and kept falling down.  They weren’t meant to be off the shoulder but apparently no one told them that.  
In the end we just used the off the shoulder look as a flirtation thing. *sigh* I really need to be better prepared.

The last thing I needed costume wise was the Shoes.  Now, in every version of Cinderella the shoes are an important plot device, so they gotta look very nice. Not that they were important in this script, but they were mentioned as being royal footwear that was uncomfortable.  How could any costumer designer turn away from a chance to design the equivalent of Cinderella’s slippers.  Now there’s a mention of glass shoes earlier but since Charlotte’s shoes were going to be a prop I wanted them to be spectacular.  I found a pair of beautifully beaded shoes, but I couldn’t find a dress to coordinate with their color, so in the end I covered them with the left over materials from making the gown and beaded them, covering the inside with sparkling gold fabric.  I wouldn’t say they’re spectacularly beautiful or anything, though I am rather fond of them, but I will go on record as saying they are the single most uncomfortable shoes anyone has ever had to wear on my set.  They’re horrible.  I felt so bad that someone actually had to wear those torture devices, so I tried to not have Bri wear them any longer then was necessary. 


Wednesday, May 12 arrived and everything was set to go.  I checked the weather forecast (as I sometimes do), and discovered it was supposed to rain in the afternoon, so I shot the outdoor scenes first.  I picked up Bri and headed out to the festival grounds where we would meet up with Tash and Zan.  On the ride over I realized just how fun and cool Bri was and I was glad to have her on board.  We arrived at the location and the actresses changed into costume while Zan and I went over the script.  After make-up and hair-styling (which they did themselves, except for Bri’s hairstyle) we headed out to the Queen’s Gardens site to shoot scenes 2-4. 

I had some camera troubles, and realized I forgot to tell Zan to bring something for the stepbrother costume, so we were a little delayed.  It took a lot longer to shoot those scenes then it should have, but at least we had fun.  Watching Tash and Bri joke around while shooting seemed like they had known each other forever instead of having just met and I was thrilled to have added fabulous new members to the SFF crew.  

In my experience the morning scenes always take longer then you expect and I don’t tend to hit my stride until after lunch.  So after filming the scenes we ordered sandwiches (or Zan went to get them, I forget), and had a relaxed lunch break.  It had just started to drizzle when we broke for lunch so we waited while a light rain storm passed, then headed out to the place where we would film the indoor farm house scenes. 

We had one major hiccup in terms of casting that day – I hadn’t been able to find anyone to play the Fairy Godfather (or godmother, but I really wanted a godfather).  I had asked several people at the office if they could spare a half hour to do a quick role, and finally one of them – the supremely wonderful Roger Clements – agreed.  He met us there, donned a hat and coat, and said his lines and was wonderful.  I’m still extremely grateful too him for a lot of things, including this.  

Filming scene 1 wasn’t too difficult, though it did involve a magical quick-change which is never as quick or easy as it sounds.  We moved on to scenes 5 and 6 where Cinderella and Charlotte get to know each other and fall in love.  There were some funny bloopers including doors and costume trains that were too long and got stuck on a bench.  However, the weather by this point had really started going down hill and it was pouring.  For more information about the weather and how the day ended, check out the Survivor’s Club post The Muddy Road Home.

It was a busy day that ended in a muddy mess but it was a lot of fun.  By the end of the shoot it felt like we had known each other for months or years instead having just met that day (in Bri’s case).  It was a genuine pleasure to work with these talented ladies (and gentleman) and though we talked of shooting more films I never made it happen.  I always thought I’d have time to do it later, but it didn’t work out that way.  Maybe someday I’ll get to film with them again.  Thanks for everything Bri, Tash, and Zan (and Roger)!

Unfortunately the camera I filmed it on was a Mini-DV that I only owned for a little while because it SUCKED!  This is the only film I shot with that camera and I really wish I had used Hamlet the Digital8 instead.  The only way I could lighten the very dark inside scenes required me to make the movie in sepia tone instead of color.  Still, it looked great!

 Sadly I have had to take Twisted Tales: Cinderella down from YouTube because the classical music I used is not actually copyright free.  I assumed it would be because the people who wrote the music are dead and the music, as far as I know, is in the public domain, but the individual performances are not.  I’m not sure how someone knows which performance is which (I can’t tell) but apparently some people can.  I wish no disrespect to artists in using their material, but I really tried to use copyright free music.  Now I have purchased some royalty free music so I will be re-editing Cinderella with music I have the rights too, but it will be a while.  I’ll update this entry with a link to it when I upload it. 










No comments:

Post a Comment